Pompeii is really one of the most fascinating places I've been to in Italy. Interestingly, Pompeii and it's 20,000 inhabitants were killed in 79 AD in the famous volcanic erruption from the toxic smoke (NOT the lava). Ash and pumice covered the town for hundreds of years before archelogists uncovered this ancient city. The city is really quite fascinating. It had a brillant water system, well developed sewage and street structure, piazzas for the roman gods, brothels, and homes for all classes of people. When archeologists undercovered the ash and pumice, they found an hallow castes of bodies with bones inside. They later filled these castes with plaster making the famous outlines of people we see today... most of whom were covering their faces from the toxic fumes. It's a terribly tragic story... and very interesting. I can't believe I got to walk around Pompeii!
The world, filtered through my lenses.
Feeling connected to the people I love is important to me. So feel free to read, but don't be a creepy no-comment reader. Leave me a note, as simple as it may be so that I know you're still connected to me. Sounds a little needy, but I don't care ;)
Tuesday, July 27, 2010
Pompeii
Pompeii is really one of the most fascinating places I've been to in Italy. Interestingly, Pompeii and it's 20,000 inhabitants were killed in 79 AD in the famous volcanic erruption from the toxic smoke (NOT the lava). Ash and pumice covered the town for hundreds of years before archelogists uncovered this ancient city. The city is really quite fascinating. It had a brillant water system, well developed sewage and street structure, piazzas for the roman gods, brothels, and homes for all classes of people. When archeologists undercovered the ash and pumice, they found an hallow castes of bodies with bones inside. They later filled these castes with plaster making the famous outlines of people we see today... most of whom were covering their faces from the toxic fumes. It's a terribly tragic story... and very interesting. I can't believe I got to walk around Pompeii!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment