The world, filtered through my lenses.

Feeling connected to the people I love is important to me. So feel free to read, but don't be a creepy no-comment reader. Leave me a note, as simple as it may be so that I know you're still connected to me. Sounds a little needy, but I don't care ;)

Sunday, July 4, 2010

Suddenly I see...

Today, I woke up in Florence and went for a run along the River. It was humid, but not too hot. Most of the city was still asleep, a contrast to the joyous bustle of tourists and Italians in the late evening. I ran past the Ulfizzi museum, and through Ponte Vechcio. I ran past countless pizzerias, and gelatorias that were resting before the start of the day. It's crazy you know. I feel Ike I'm on the set of a movie, with fake buildings and statues that were once stored in the prop room. But everything is real!

As I was running, K.T. Turnstall's, "Suddenly I See" came on my iPod. I smiled as I ran in wonder. As the lyrics rang in my ears, "suddenly I see, this is what I want to be," I realized that I am living the adventure of the life I want to live.

This whole process, from January until now, to get here to Italy has been so hard and painful. Disappointment after disappointment, struggle after struggle, tear after tear. And yet still, there are things still to be resolved that I am standing in faith for. But despite it all, I knew I was supposed to come here. After every bump in the road, I can honestly say that I felt an urgency in my gut that said, "How bad do you want it? DO NOT GIVE UP." And so I am here in Florence. I endured! I endured one of the most hellish seasons of my life, and God was faithful.

Even when I was at my worst, my ugliest, He showed Himself strong, not because I deserve it but because that is who He is.

I believe God has brought me here for a reason. Pray I'd be faithful to this gift He has given me. Research in a foreign land is a daunting task, but someones gotta do it!

I don't have pictures to post just yet, but here is the Ponte Vecchio, one of my favorite scenes and where I'll be running each day :)
http://www.google.it/imgres?imgurl=http://www.agriturismobelvedere.it/firenze%2520inglese/immagini/ponte%2520vecchio.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.agriturismobelvedere.it/firenze%2520inglese/Monumenti/ponte_vecchio.htm&h=350&w=523&sz=35&tbnid=OBmVGgs5lKIzmM:&tbnh=88&tbnw=131&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dponte%2Bvecchio&hl=en&usg=__nfYA0_lgHI6RqJvsEtDz_cdguWU=&sa=X&ei=wM4wTKnEH9mgOPT53dIB&ved=0CDUQ9QEwBQ

5 comments:

  1. It's awesome to hear how God is working in your life, Janelle! You are inspiring me, as well as many others, I'm sure, to go out and live the dream. To press forward, trusting that He is in control. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome to Europe!! Love reading your point of view of the world~ I often feel like I am also walking on movie set. It's so amazing how God allows us to be surrounded by such beauty and its all in his plan for us! Enjoy your time here & eat lots of gelato (I mean you might as well, you are running everyday :) )

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome Janelle!! I am going to look forward to hearing about your adventures! You are awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  4. "Even when I was at my worst, my ugliest, He showed Himself strong, not because I deserve it but because that is who He is."

    So true.

    Your morning run is gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well hello Janelle! I'm so excited that you are having so much fun. I know it was hard for you to get there. But God has truly blessed you and I know that you are supossed to be there. God is going to do amazing things for you and he is going to show you many things. Can't wait to see what He plans next!

    ReplyDelete